Re: Weekly Skype Discussion about Open Data

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 16:23:43 -0700

Hi Dan,
At 14:07 27-05-2015, Daniel Laeng wrote:
>My skype ID appears to be "zipzipuk" (I can't remember why). I'll
>be ready to join at 20:50.

I sent a request.

>When I say "discovery service", I'm willing to be pragmatic: I'm
>happy with a prominent web page with a (maintained!) list of
>Government Open Data with links to offsite download pages for each.
>Having an open list of Open Data feels like the first step of Open Data.

I'll suggest that we go with "web page with a maintained list of Open
Government Data". We could discuss about the "discovery service" on Thursday.

>I think several government departments are starting to scan their
>paper based records into PDFs. Yes, this is difficult to parse, but
>I'd love to see them making these available.

   "The computerisation of various governmental agencies dates back to 1989"

   "The computerisation of various governmental agencies has constantly been
    on the increase since then. To date, there are around 60 departmental
    systems already operational and some 40 major projects under
implementation.
    These back office applications are a major building block of the
e-Government
    programme."

 From
http://www.the-report.net/mauritius/jun2012/111-q-a-mr-kemraz-mohee-general-manager-of-state-informatics-limited

   "SIL approaches e-government from the bottom up, and we have implemented
    many operational systems and applications."

 From a 2013 report:

   "The MICT is currently examining a proposal of Rs 140 million
from Microsoft
    for the supply of licenses valid for a period of 3.5 years up to
June 2016."

There would be some data in machine-readable format as the above says
that various governmental agencies have been computerised.