Re: Mauritian Developers' Network (MDN)

From: Jochen Kirstätter <mscc_at_kirstaetter.name>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 21:41:54 +0400

Hi,

On 27/05/2015 21:16, Mohammad Nadim wrote:
> IMHO, SM was trying to say that expatriates were more involved in the
> "organisation" - speakers were there only after everything was already
> "organised" (choosing the venue, finding sponsors, etc, etc).

Well, that's not true either.
The "core" team consisted of 2 expats (in case I'm (still) considered as
one) and 1 Mauritian, and the extended team was 2 expats and IIRC 4-5
Mauritians. All the graphics, banners, etc have been made by Mauritians.

> _at_Jochen, can you please explain or give examples about "dragging quite
> some stuff that is about to happen here on the island into the mud." -
> I didn't quite understand or figure out what you are trying to say.

As said, this might rather be my own issue in terms of interpretation of
SM's writing.

[User Group]
> I don't think SM was being negative and I didn't see SM stopping
> someone from joining MSCC or attending the meetups.
>
> There is nothing wrong with MSCC, nor there is something wrong in
> creating another group. For example we have the "Google Developer
> Group" and there was a presentation about the same by Yannick at the
> DevCon2015.

Agreed, there's absolutely nothing wrong about and it's actually quite
the opposite. I'm more than pleased by the facts that due to the early
conversations I had with Ish, back in mid of 2013, that thanks to this
the LUGM got a second spring and prepared several events including the
fantastic Linuxfest 2013. At the end of my session about the MSCC we
could witness the "birth" of the Mauritius Maker Community (MMC) [1],
and yes, I'm also encouraging Yannick in his pursuit to get the GDG up
and running... Then let's not forget the MSPs and hopefully there will
be more activities in the future.

Of course, Cedric is free to start and run MDN...

I'm only asking myself whether this is not eventually causing a scenario
as it used to be before the MSCC was founded. And even though I guess
that competition among business people might be fruitful, I'm not
convinced whether there will be long-term benefits. According to
Cedric's explanation of MDN it's more or less what the MSCC is doing
since 2013. That's a conversation I had with Ish and Nitin about whether
Ish should go forward and do some openSUSE only user group... well, I
advised him to keep LUGM alive.

If user groups are starting to pop up like mushrooms, eh malls here on
the island. Hm, I'm not sure if this is going to improve the cause of
corporation and unity. That sounds more like "me too".

Anyway, we are all adults here and anyone is free to do whatever she or
he likes to do. Hopefully for the right reasons... ;-)

--
Kind regards, Jochen
Founder of Mauritius Software Craftsmanship Community