RE: Achievements

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 20:30:28 +0400

Hello,
>I think in order to get heard we have to be legitimate and to be legit we have to represent more than 60 people sending emails.
We don't want to be one of these associations which exist only for the sake of saying that there is a 'big association' with a lot of members when everybody knows that the members only exist on paper. We prefer to have 60 people who are fully active instead of 300 people having fun watching other people do the work. We could have had a lot of members if we were on facebook. We are not on FB because we are not interested in having members who are only interested in 'finding acquaintances' or clicking on the 'like' button even though they have no idea what they are liking.
>If I search on google for "mauritius internet users" I found nothing related to MIU.
I searched on Google for Mauritius Internet Users and i found the MIU archives on the second page. Do we have to do search Engine Optimization for the archive?
>Remember Morimode? the guy was thinking we were teenager sending angry emails... The feedback i received from the NCB workshop is that SM is young. It is indeed good to have young and energetic people among us.
>Just an idea that is crossing my mind but what we could do is to write a manifesto like the agile one : http://agilemanifesto.org/
Thank you Vincent, i do like the idea. Maybe we could discuss this in a different message.
>Then we go to all companies and associations asking them to backup our objective by signing it. We create a website to get more visibility (piece of cake) get a logo to brand our image and we finally contact the press (when everything is done) to federate the public. We are indeed fortunate to have talented people in our mailing list who can design websites and logos.
>Then organizations such as ICTA, NCB and others will maybe listen as they know that we are representing something :)So the problem is, organisations such as ICTA and NCB are not taking our suggestions into consideration because we're not a registered group. It seems like they do not like free consultancy maybe they are just too accustomed to paying foreign expert and ignoring local talents. Is there any guarantee that they would pay attention to us if we were a registered group?
Thank you.From: vincent_at_pongosoft.com
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 21:25:58 +0400
Subject: Re: Achievements
To: shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com
CC: mauritius-internet-users_at_lists.elandnews.com

Hello
I think in order to get heard we have to be legitimate and to be legit we have to represent more than 60 people sending emails.

Starting a news letter was the first step, but it has a limit.
If I search on google for "mauritius internet users" I found nothing related to MIU. Remember Morimode? the guy was thinking we were teenager sending angry emails...
Just an idea that is crossing my mind but what we could do is to write a manifesto like the agile one : http://agilemanifesto.org/

Then we go to all companies and associations asking them to backup our objective by signing it. We create a website to get more visibility (piece of cake) get a logo to brand our image and we finally contact the press (when everything is done) to federate the public.
Then organizations such as ICTA, NCB and others will maybe listen as they know that we are representing something :)VINCENT POLLET | CO-FOUNDER

PONGO SOFT LTD.
EBENE CYBERCITY - MAURITIUS

e: vincent_at_pongosoft.com
m: +230 52520766
skype:vincent.pollet67

On 20 May 2015 at 20:54, Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

I agree with SM and Ish, there has not been any achievement so far. How it helped me, was through an article in the local press about a pink tote bag promised to me by Morimode. It also helped me to face the legal tantrums i got from companies and authorities.
Some people might say that the MIU is a failure. SM and Ish said that MIU is a failure. Why are those people still on the mailing list? There isnt any achievement because:
1. The MIU has reported security issues affecting websites in Mauritius; the reports have been ignored. 2. The MIU has reported a very serious security problem with .mu, the Government has ignored this report.3. The MIU has sent representatives to workshops organised by the Government, the recommendations made by our representatives have been ignored as the Government prefer to hire foreign experts even though they would be getting the same recommendations.4. We have reported several important websites in Mauritius such as, gov.mu.org, infotech.mu, mbc.mu who are below the standard. The Government agencies running these websites have been unable to improve the websites. 5. There is a National Internet Filtering System in Mauritius. The Internet Users in Mauritius have been not been informed about that. What if it is use to make a list of all the websites we visit everyday? or used against the Government?
If the Government and companies in Mauritius cared about Internet Users in Mauritius, they would not have ignored the above problems. What is the ICT Advisory council doing about these blatant failures? Why do ISPs in Mauritius say that they care about Internet Users in Mauritius when we don't even have an acceptable Internet connection? As for the ICTA, do you think that it is acceptable that it does not consult Internet Users before implementing its regulations?
Why is the Mauritius Research Council proposing to research seaweed instead of supporting research to solve problems affecting the Internet in Mauritius?
Thank you.