Re: Internet price & access in Mauritius.

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 07:06:44 -0700

Hello,
At 05:05 15-05-2015, Sun wrote:
>Update on the situation.
>
>Following one acknowledgement from the ICTA about my complaint, and
>another acknowledgement from Mauritius Telecom about the complaint
>from ICTA. I received a call from a lady from Mauritius Telecom
>trying to explain to me why there is no price difference between
>LaFibre 10M & MyT 1MB both being sold for Rs949.
>
>In the end she was unable to provide me with a satisfactory answer
>as she was just stating what are the packages that are available.
>She promised she will find out why MyT 1MB is not cheaper and get
>back to me via mail.

Thank you for sharing the above.

The Competition Commission of Mauritius can take a complaint about
whether an enterprise is engaging in conduct that constitutes
exploitation of the monopoly situation. Such a complaint can be
filed by an individual or on behalf of the Mauritius Internet Users.

There was a Cabinet decision in 2013 about "a moratorium period of
three years being granted to network access providers to enable them
to have sole use of their network in the local loop and facilitate
the deployment of emerging technologies, given that they would be
making substantial investment in optical fibre network to carpet the
whole island with broadband connectivity". The effect of that
decision is that consumers in Mauritius may have to pay a higher
price for internet access for some time.