Re: National Internet Filtering System

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 23:45:53 -0700

Hello,
At 22:33 14-05-2015, Mohammad Nadim wrote:
>For those like me who are not knowledgeable in these areas, can you
>please explain in an easily understandable form, what "pervasive
>monitoring" means. What does RFC 7258 say?

Pervasive monitoring is widespread surveillance by gathering the
content of, for example, conversations or information about the
conversations. Instead of the surveillance being restricted to some
persons, the surveillance is done on everyone and on a very large scale.

RFC 7258 says that pervasive monitoring [1] is a technical attack as
the people whose communication is being monitored did not agree to
that. In some cases, the objective may be a noble cause, for example
protecting children. However, the technology used to achieve that
objective can also be used by criminals to mount attacks.

1. I tried to explain pervasive monitoring in an understandable
form. People knowledgeable about the topic should read RFC 7258 to
understand what the document says.