Re: Fwd: Workshop on the occasion of the World Telecommunication and Information Society Day 2015

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 10:28:36 +0400

Hi SM,

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 2:09 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> I read the programme for the proposed workshop. The topic that looks
> related to "Innovation" and "Mauritius" is "Innovative Public service with
> ICT". There is also a topic about boosting innovation for "SMART
> Mauritius" by a Program Director of IBM UK. I would like to comment on
> those two topics from an "Internet in Mauritius" perspective.
>
> Does anyone have comments about those two topics?

​I am not okay with any "innovative Public Service with ICT" that is hosted
on Amazon or Azure (US, EU, Asia-Pacific)​. In fact, I am not okay with
hosting anything outside Mauritius and call it "innovative" or "smart".

I want the Government to make it easy for me as an individual, to easily &
decently host my blog in Mauritius, write tech articles for Mauritians,
code a couple of scripts and host the same. I do not enjoy hosting outside
Mauritius but it is neither amusing for me to pay Rs 16,000/month to host
my blog on a VPS here.

Coming to "SMART Mauritius", well, I believe a lot of people on this
mailing list are Smart but their creativity is somehow limited by the local
infrastructure. So, the Ministry of TCI should stop talking & rather act.
I've been hearing the word Smart since over a year now; but my My.T is
still 1Mbps. I've been hearing Cyber Island since 10 years and I still
can't find a decent virtual server hosting in Mauritius. So, are we still
going to do conferences and repeat the same "dialogues" again & again? Or
someone would stand and say loud "Okay, I am fixing it in 2 months".

In March 2015, I heard Orange subscribers will have their Internet speed
doubled by end of April. I was on 1Mbps and I am still. I'm not interested
in hear about "Smart Countries", there is Google for that where I can
search & read. I want to see actions, real action. I want to see a roadmap,
a real roadmap. I want to see deadlines, real deadlines. On top of all, I
want public officers sitting on their cozy chairs to make an effort to
reply my emails :-)

When talking of Smart, surely they would mention Internet of Things. How
much IoT devices are currently present on the Mauritian soil? Do we develop
IoT devices?

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.