Re: Fwd: Workshop on the occasion of the World Telecommunication and Information Society Day 2015

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 17:07:38 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 23:28 13-05-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I am not okay with any "innovative Public Service with ICT" that is
>hosted on Amazon or Azure (US, EU, Asia-Pacific). In fact, I am not
>okay with hosting anything outside Mauritius and call it
>"innovative" or "smart".

That sounds like you are opposed to the Public Service being in the "cloud".

>I want the Government to make it easy for me as an individual, to
>easily & decently host my blog in Mauritius, write tech articles for
>Mauritians, code a couple of scripts and host the same. I do not
>enjoy hosting outside Mauritius but it is neither amusing for me to
>pay Rs 16,000/month to host my blog on a VPS here.

This is a separate issue as it does not look like it fits under
"Public Service with ICT".

>Coming to "SMART Mauritius", well, I believe a lot of people on this
>mailing list are Smart but their creativity is somehow limited by
>the local infrastructure. So, the Ministry of TCI should stop
>talking & rather act. I've been hearing the word Smart since over a
>year now; but my My.T is still 1Mbps. I've been hearing Cyber Island
>since 10 years and I still can't find a decent virtual server
>hosting in Mauritius. So, are we still going to do conferences and
>repeat the same "dialogues" again & again? Or someone would stand
>and say loud "Okay, I am fixing it in 2 months".

I don't pay much attention to that "C" word as it is overused. I
wonder whether the communication infrastructure is the actual
problem. The lack of adequate bandwidth at an affordable cost is a
barrier for local people to contribute towards this "SMART Mauritius".

>In March 2015, I heard Orange subscribers will have their Internet
>speed doubled by end of April. I was on 1Mbps and I am still. I'm
>not interested in hear about "Smart Countries", there is Google for
>that where I can search & read. I want to see actions, real action.
>I want to see a roadmap, a real roadmap. I want to see deadlines,
>real deadlines. On top of all, I want public officers sitting on
>their cozy chairs to make an effort to reply my emails :-)

I heard that the internet in Mauritius would be faster. I am still
waiting for that to happen. It is better to assess whether the
deadlines have been met into of seeing roadmaps where the deadlineis
five years more than what has been published. Cosy chairs might be
causing email problems. :-)

>When talking of Smart, surely they would mention Internet of Things.
>How much IoT devices are currently present on the Mauritian soil? Do
>we develop IoT devices?

IoT is listed as a topic. The term "internet of thieves" comes to
mind when I read that. :-) I have not seen any statistics about IoT
devices in Mauritius. I assume that you are asking about whether IoT
devices developed in Mauritius for consumer products. I don't know
the answer to that question.