Re: CEB & Internet

From: Appadoo Dave <azezezaaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 22:58:38 +0400

Hey

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 4:53 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> At 03:50 04-05-2015, Dhiruj Rambaran wrote:
>
>> I think it's a clever move by CEB.
>>
>> 1) They already have a network of cables.. hence the cost of laying
>> 'extra cables' will be very low (comparatively)
>>
>> 2) They already have a billing system in place.. hence they'll just add
>> extra info on the bill.
>>
>> 3) They already have vans/cars etc performing maintenance all over the
>> island... hence no need for additional vehicles, substations etc. It will
>> just be 'extra manual work' for them.
>>
>> Looking at all the above I believe they can hit the ground quite
>> competitively.
>>

> The news article is from L'Express. The single mode Optic Fiber might be
> on the greater than 200 kW part of the grid. There would have to be more
> Fiber for the 22 kV distribution network to be covered. It would probably
> be expensive.

Don't give them ideas on justifying why CEB's internet access is expensive
=p
IIRC, this technology technically modulates radio signals with data and
send these signals over the power lines in frequencies. It shouldn't
require fiber at the 22kV network, and should be cost-effective compared to
the ftth services offered by other companies.
But you're right, a third company offering ftth services would not lower
the price of these services. Furthermore, CEB will need to be connected to
the internet backbone, and it will not be surprising if an agreement was
formed between these two government bodies.
Cheers,
EVad