Re: CEB & Internet

From: fluxy <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 15:55:29 +0400

Hello all,

There are two things that draws my attention from the article besides the
effervescence of a potential new ISP:
- i.e. what kind of data is being recorded, by whom and why? Did I miss a
memo?
2. They already have fibre and they seemed to have been able to invest in
such without any major apparent impact on their budget while Orange keeps
telling us « la fibre sa, cout cher » or as a former ICT minister once said
« pa cout 1 sou 1 cass sa »; and we are all too well aware of the stark
difference in financial positions between MT and CEB. Which is which?

As for the potential effervescence of the potential ISP, I will believe it
when I see it, until then it is serves only as « effet d'annonce » and we
are yet to know of quality and pricing. If Mauritians were able to live off
such « effets d'annonces », we'd be by far the most advanced civilisation
known to man (Cyber-island, food hub, medical hub, education hub,
corruption free etc etc); but alas such is not the case. They promise and
promise while lepep admirab pardonner ek serrer em ceinture, ad-nauseam.

Regards,
Yusuf Satar

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Dhiruj Rambaran <dhiruj_at_shoponline.mu>
wrote:

> I think it's a clever move by CEB.
>
> 1) They already have a network of cables.. hence the cost of laying 'extra
> cables' will be very low (comparatively)
>
> 2) They already have a billing system in place.. hence they'll just add
> extra info on the bill.
>
> 3) They already have vans/cars etc performing maintenance all over the
> island... hence no need for additional vehicles, substations etc. It will
> just be 'extra manual work' for them.
>
> Looking at all the above I believe they can hit the ground quite
> competitively.
>
> Dhiruj
>

> On 04/05/2015 13:46, Sruti Jughdharree wrote:
>
> Hi. It is a good idea as long as we will have to pay less and still get a
> fast Internet connection. Plus, it will be interesting to see how orange
> deals with the competition.
> Hello,
>
> I found this on social media (dunno which newspaper). I'm busy right now;
> I just read the title and I cannot comment on this for the moment (as I've
> not read the contents yet).
>
> Send your opinion.
>
> Regards,
> Nadim Attari