RE: National Commercial Bank (SSL Certificate)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:17:47 -0700

Hi Shelly,
At 04:28 28-04-2015, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:
>Did you report this matter to the NCB?

I did not report the matter as my last message to email address
provided by the bank was rejected. As I mentioned previously I
sometimes send an email if I notice a problem. I don't bother doing
that if the company ignores the email.

>It looks suspicious that the bank might not be following its
>internet security policy.

I'll try and keep my comments simple.

>Is there a data protection issue?

There is probably an issue.

>What is the difference between having a green bar or not? Does
>having a green bar prove that a website is secure or are we still
>prone to security issues?

The green bar allows you to verify the identity of the owner of the web site.

The difference between having a green bar or not is that you may be
responsible for the loss of money from your bank account as you did
not verify whether there is a green bar when your bank advised you to do so.

The green bar does not prove that a web site is secure. Someone will
have to identify the security issues if you cannot do that.

>How would i find out whether the other information in the online
>security is reliable since there seem to be a problem with Global
>sign certificate.

You will have to contact your bank and ask it the right questions
about the online security. You will then have to decide whether the
answers you receive are reliable.