Re: Web practices

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 05:53:25 +0000

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 8:24 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Logan,
> At 08:59 18-04-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>>
>> My experience suggest that it's not:
>> 1) Downtime due to crack - loss of money
>> 2) Clients losing trust - This can surprisingly be quite huge, unless
>> your website is known as google, or youtube. So clients might start
>> looking elsewhere.
>>
>> In my experience, it's worth sending the client a proposal once the
>> project is completed, or close and tell him about the security risks
>> in terms of money/loss of customer goodwill being potentially at risk,
>> by charging for "security/reliability updates".
>

> I am a subject-matter expert for HTTP (Web). I am not looking at the topic
> from that perspective. I'll focus on the internet in Mauritius.
>
> There isn't loss of money for downtime. I am not sure whether there is loss

For en e-commerce website, where there are many at least 2
transactions every minute, there is loss of money.

> of trust. Do the clients look elsewhere? I don't know.

I've seen clients moving from one e-com website to another one,
because the service had less downtime.

> Here is what we did: we took an open source software which comes without
> any warranty, added it to a "web package" and sold that to the customer. We
> then blame the customer for not paying us for security.

That's a complex issue: On one end the customer is looking for the
lowest price, and on the other end, when the customer gets hacked,
he's angry. Experience shows that as web frameworks become complex, it
difficult for a single solution provider to give a warranty. I don't
know of any web agency who would provide warranty over a CMS, unless
they wrote their own CMS, and went through a strong audit process of
their code.