Re: WebCup 2015 (was: Website security)

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 03:48:42 +0000

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM, vincent pollet <vincent_at_pongosoft.com>
wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I am actually one of the admin for Webcup Mauritius website. You guys are
> right it is a wordpress and the choice of the theme can always be discussed
> but at the end of the day it is not really our choice .... The website is
> managed by the team in la Reunion and other countries like us do not have
> full admin access. Which is normal as the competition is not only in
> Mauritius but in Indian Ocean so it need to be centralized somehow and to
> satisfy everyone.

Hi Vincent,

The Webcup has been criticised in the past due to the criteria used to
grade websites. Have the webcup organizers take the negative feedback into
account for the next competition ?

> Webcup registration will be officially launched on Monday in Port Louis
> and regarding security issues well... you guys should know better than
> other that 100% security does not exist in our sector :)

With the snowden leaks, people are increasingly aware that there is massive
surveillance and invasion of privacy.

I read the article on "advantages" of cloud hosting, and I think that the
article was biased, as it showed only the good sides of cloud computing.

If I were a client, and I'm losing money on my ecommerce website due to
downtime due to security vulnerabilities, then I would start taking my
phone and yell at the webagency until the problem is fixed. Incidently,
clients should be offered "security contracts" where the webagency updates
their websites against a fee for security issues discovered after the
project is completed.

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.