RE: MIU

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 09:11:47 -0700

Hi Shelly,
At 06:31 09-04-2015, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:
>Well...my opinion- FB is different. The audience and the approach
>to the content or topics being discussed would be mostly shared or
>'liked' and i don't think that it's a culture you would like or i
>don't think that it was your objective. FB is a platform where
>people would just click on 'like' for almost anything without really
>paying attention. The number of likes wouldn't necessary mean that
>the message is being delivered or we're creating awareness or stuff.
>The message would still be read by people who really care about
>what's being said. So, maybe that would leave us with the same
>number of people interacting on the mailing list right now.
>And...... this is why we're on the mailing list? :S or.. the mailing
>list is better because you know who's subscribing.. and there's more
>control... you can easily unsubscribe any person who would be rude
>or say something irrelevant or whatever...
>
>So... that's one of the reason why i think MIU is not on FB... :S

Most of the internet users in Mauritius are on Facebook. The usual
approach in Mauritius is to be on Facebook. We used a mailing list
is because it is a standard at the international level for
internet-related discussions. The idea was to keep to that standard
or else the people in Mauritius interested in the internet would be
at a disadvantage in future. There are other reasons, e.g. a person
interested in the group could be blocked by Facebook and he or she
would no longer be able to participate, or Facebook could block the
group; the group would have to accept other rules instead of deciding
on its own rules.

It is not up to me to control what people can say or how they
behave. I don't unsubscribe a person unless I receive a complaint
with a good explanation about the problem the person has caused.

The audience and the approach is, as you mentioned, different on
Facebook. If we were to take decisions based on "likes" we would be
deciding based on popularity instead of thinking about whether it is
a good decision. I do notice when a person on the mailing list
ignores a question which is being asked; it's not because the person is busy.