Re: Free WiFi in public transports

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 14:42:32 +0400

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 1:35 PM, chittra <chittra.03_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> If you connect to free wifi there are many chances to be hacked, data found
> in your mobile laptop can be stolen
>

> In a free wifi environment there can be many people accessing it, hence
> probability of hackers is high
>

> Free wifi is ideal spot for a hacker
>

> Consequences
>

> Your laptop may contains important files or credentials, if the hacker
> accessed it then ???
>

> Accessing to wifi is joining a network in the air

I think that a responsible computer user should take necessary
precautions to avoid attacks such as Man in the Middle or someone
logging on SSH on his MAC laptop or grab files that are available
thanks to windows sharing being enabled.

When I'm travalling and connect to free wifi-hotspots, I tunnel my
traffic through an SSH tunnel. It's slower, but very secure, as all of
my http/https traffic is going through an SSH connection.

If an attacker tries to downgrade the SSL cipher through a
man-in-the-middle, that's way harder.

I use OpenBSD on my laptop, which has acquired a reputation as an
Ultra-secure Operating System ,which comes preconfigured & tightly
locked down. so no NFS, Samba or avahi by default. This avoids people
from accessing my data easily through the wifi network.

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.