Re: .mu issues (was: Notes of meeting with the .mu Select Committee)

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:46:00 +0400

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 3:47 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Logan,
> At 04:04 31-03-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>>
>> I once contacted th MIXP to host an Open Source mirror. I was told
>> that I couldn't be part of the board, because I didn't have an ISP
>> license. So, I would like further clarification regarding the
>> statement "MIXP is open to everyone", which is not convincing.
>

> I made a comment about MIXP as, a few weeks ago, I asked the Ministry of
> Technology, Communication and Innovation whether it was operational. In
> response, Mr Ramalingum said that there are several ISPs peering at MIXP and
> that the facility was open to everyone.

You cannot be part of the decision-making process of the MIXP, without
having an ISP license, which is not the right approach. Currently, we
end up with a board which is composed of only of ISPs.

There is nothing for educational organization, or non-profit ones. I
don't think that this is how a cyber-island should run an IXP.

> The location of .mu operations is a sensitive issue. It was agreed that the
> location would be neutral. At the moment I assume that MIXP could be
> considered as neutral. I would verify the information before writing that
> in a report.
>
>> Reserved seats ?
>>
>> I would welcome further clarification regaring the list of "reserved
>> seats". In that case, I believe that MIU should have reserved seats
>> as MIU was the most active during the .mu problems. I would like to
>> know what those organizations -- who would like to have a reserved
>> seat today -- were doing when members of MIU raised awareness of the
>> problems with .mu ?
>

> I mentioned the Mauritius Internet Users being the most active on the .mu
> issues. It may be the custom in Mauritius to argue for having a seat for
> your group. I do not think that it would be appropriate of me to argue for
> a reserved seat for my group while I am chairing the .mu Select Committee.
> My preference is to have a structure which is fair to everyone. It is not
> possible to have that when organisations ask for reserved seats. It was
> pointed out that, for example, MITIA represents the software industry in
> Mauritius and it should have a reserved seat.

SM, is it possible to have an exceptional meeting with the different
organizations, and include members of MIU, or whoever would like to
participate ? I don't think that the current structure that was
proposed is fair, as there are no individuals, or educational
representatives that form part of the local Internet Community.

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.