Re: Renewal (or purchase) of .mu domain(s)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 02:54:11 -0700

Hello,
At 01:18 27-03-2015, Jochen Kirstaetter wrote:
>Let me ask you several things:
>Why wasn't and still isn't the government, ie. Prime Minister's
>Office, the official Owner of the domain?
>Why were those domains not paid on time? Since years?

Please see
http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/gov-mu-domain-name-for-sale.html for
information about registrant of the gov.mu domain name.

I represented the Mauritius Internet Users in a meeting of the
Multi-Stakeholder Forum. During that meeting the Permanent Secretary
of the Ministry of Ministry of Technology, Communication and
Innovation mentioned that Mr Yann Kwok asked twenty-five million
rupees for gov.mu. However, Mr Yann Kwok did not explain how he came
up with that amount.

I do not have any facts to be able to answer the question about why
those domains were not paid on time. The current practice outside
Mauritius is for the person or company paying for a domain name to be
listed as the registrant.

The government is currently using the govmu.org domain name. It will
be difficult to justify that there will be a direct negative impact
on its services if anything happens to the .mu ccTLD.

At 02:30 27-03-2015, Shri Yantra wrote:
>When mra.mu was disconnected for non renewal, did they go to court
>to request it as a free service? No, they renewed it immediately and
>was back online the very next day. Not sure who advised the
>government on going to the court for gov.mu, but it was certainly
>the wrong approach.

Please see
http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/www-mra-mu-unavailable.html The mra.mu
domain name was likely suspended by the .mu registry as the domain
name was considered as expiring in October 2011. The domain name was
actually paid for until October 2018. The MRA contacted me about the
problem and I suggested how to fix it.