Re: .mu proposed model

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:40:09 +0000

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 2:11 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Logan,
> At 06:45 25-03-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>>
>> I read the draft concerning the proposed model. I don't quite agree
>> with the idea of having paid board members.
>>
>> I think that it will create competition for board membership, and
>> ultimately, this may not be in the best interest when it comes to
>> decision making for the .mu.
>>
>> I think that it's better that we have unpaid membership for the board,
>> given the attempts at minimizing the initial budget. I'm not sure that
>> it's the right way forward.
>

> I assume that you are referring to the following text in the draft:
>
> "Fees are be paid that are at a level to attract and retain board members
> of suitable caliber. There is a need to ensure that the governance of .mu
> is in the hands of people who have the standards of ability and character
> to carry out the functions and will spend the time required to fully
> consider the issues."
>
> Will it be possible to attract members of suitable caliber in Mauritius if
> the persons are not given any compensation?

Experience show it is possible. There seems to be a misconception
about what a board does.

A Board shouldn't and must not be involved in the day-to-day operation
of an organization.

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.