Re: Security risk to .mu

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 23:20:09 -0700

Hi Ish, Logan,

I informed the Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation
about the single point of failure. I don't have any information
about whether the risk of a communication disruption has been
considered. It is difficult to assess the security risk when there
is a culture of secrecy. In this case Benoit and I expressed our
individual opinions publicly about the security risk.

I provided a conservative estimate of the impact of a .mu failure. I
did not take the indirect impact into consideration in calculating
the estimated cost as I don't have the necessary information for that.

I would like to thank both of you for expressing your opinion about
the topic. I'll comment about the message from Logan. The
information in that message is that the person talked to "several
businessmen from Europe and US" and that he is the developer of some
DNS software. How does that information help the Permanent Secretary
of a ministry to assess a security risk? The message from Ish
mentions that the ".mu domain going offline could bring several
international services to a still". How does that information help
the Permanent Secretary of a ministry to assess a security risk?