Re: patriotic feelings or nationalisim?

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 07:51:15 +0000

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 6:15 AM, Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in> wrote:

>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Nitin Mutkawoa <jmutkawoa_at_gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > kaalai vaNakkam aya ronny
>> >
>> > dude grow up.. we should think from a universal perspective whether
>> > there is
>> > someone from this country or not.
>> > In this era of globalisation you are still dreaming.. wake up!
>> > The importance whether foreign or not does not make any difference.
>>
>> It makes when it comes to critical infrastructure.
>>
>> The US appoints only US companies with security clearances to work on
>> security projects.
>>
>> E.g in Virginia, there are many contractors who work on
>> OpenSSL-related projects such as FIPS compliance. OpenSSL foundation
>> is incorporated in the US.
>>
>> Nitin, do you think that the US would allow its ccTLD (.us, .mil) to
>> be operated by Russia ?
>>
>> Conversely, do you think that Russia would allow its ccTLD (.ru) to be
>> operated by the US ?
>>
>> When it comes to critical infrastructure such as ccTLDs which can
>> potentially cripple an entire country, we need trusted people from
>> their own communities.
>

> The mention of DevConMru was already irrelavant to the ongoing discussion of
> .mu ccTLD. JoKi started the Mauritius Software Craftsmanship Community and
> has iterated over dozens of times that the community is for everyone; anyone
> can take initiatives. How many Mauritians chipped in to help?
>
> JoKi has a company incorporated in Mauritius and he runs a business while
> employing Mauritians. Is that a trouble to anyone?
>
> Coming to DevCon, JoKi took the initiative to organize it and seeked help
> from craftsmen around the island. _at_Ronny, are you as a Mauritian helping
> him? _at_Logan, are you as a Mauritian helping him? If you are very concerned
> about the security stuffs then I suggest you look at the team of CERT-MU :-)

Yes I do care about security in Mauritius :-) I believe that many
Mauritian companies are relying on my code daily for securely managing
their infrastructure :-)

I also explained to fellow Mauritians how to take advantage of latest
security improvements in OpenSSH for free :-)

Also, I explained to Mauritians how to secure their code in PHP and MySQL :)

> Oh, please don't go on saying let's appoint SM, Logan for CERT-MU now. At

I would say that it all depends on the kind of role. I believe that
CERT-MU needs more directors who can push for stronger activities like
malware analysis targetting Mauritius. This kind of information is
helpful to local IT administrators, who don't have the skills nor the
time to reverse-engineer malware hitting their websites.

Today, you can pay your bills online in Mauritius. Increasingly,
people are moving towards information systems. If those servers are
hacked, a number of Mauritians could find themselves in trouble, and
money lost.

In Japan, JP-CERT takes those initiatives. They reverse-engineer
malware and provide a global picture of malware hitting Japan,
graphing the trends. This gives all of the Japanese companies a better
picture of where each year, they should structure their annual budget.

When you think about it, it makes sense. Companies are losing money
and goodwill of customers when they are compromised. How can they
reduce those risks, and be more proactive ? JP-cert accomplished this.

> some point you need to realize one man can't be everywhere but rather
> channel the energy to improve the community. SM has taught me a lot and I
> respect that. I've already backed him up but I don't keep playing like a
> broken radio. We need to behave like a community mentoring each and everyone
> wishing to help.
>
> I would not take examples from US or Russia as to how they operate their
> security stuffs. I'll say again we fix our problems, if we do not have the
> expertise, then we gain the expertise and then we fix.

It's good to look at what others are doing for themselves and position
ourselves.

I strongly believe that Taking the example of the US and russia is
relevant here.

In the event of deteriorating relationships between India and
Mauritius regarding tax treaties, and agreements, cyber warfare may be
used to pressure the Mauritian government.

People forget easily what happened when tensions rose between estonia
and Russia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_cyberattacks_on_Estonia

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.