Re: .mu update (was: Difference between someone who works)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 09:51:40 -0700

Hi Logan, Ish,
At 02:55 21-03-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>Annual salary (2 people at the beginning) : 1,92 million.
>IT infrastructure: 3.6 million
>Bandwidth: Rs 360,000
>Ebene lease: Rs 480,000

Thanks for answering the question about cost.

A significant part of the estimated cost is due to having the
infrastructure in Mauritius. If that is not done it will mean that
the country does not have adequate technological capacity. It will
also means that the Mauritius Internet Users does not know what it is
talking about as its suggestions are unrealistic. The initial
estimated cost was thirteen million rupees. Someone will have to
find ways to reduce the cost. I would like to thank both Ish and you
for volunteering to help with that without asking me to pay you.

Some persons on this list (including me) have been saying that a .mu
domain name should not be so expensive. The reason for arguing for a
decrease in the estimated costs is because the estimated cost affects
the price of a .mu domain name.

At 08:52 21-03-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>After studying the situation and reflecting on the main aspects to
>why we need a re-delegation, I'll sum-up the following:
>
>Infrastructure costs
>Servers / Connectivity
>
>Site A (Mauritius)
>Rs 300,000
>
>Site B (Outside Mauritius
>)
>Rs 200,000
>
>Rent
>Rs 240,000
>
>Wages (3 Persons)
>Rs 1,820,000
>
>Total = Rs 2,560,000
>
>The above is an indicative amount and I am not putting anything as
>one-time costs. I could have included a miscellaneous items row to
>include additional expenses but at this level I don't think it is
>necessary. It's purely indicative.

My estimate of the costs is three million rupees. It would require
avoiding a telecommunications-oriented approach. The estimated costs
is very low; it can be a problem if something goes wrong.

>I kept the infrastructure scalable as it's absurd to invest
>massively in servers to cater around ~4000 domains. Besides if the
>operational cost cannot be brought down then we can never bring down
>the price of .mu domain, which I should remind in one of our aims.

Yes.

>Coming to better management, I kept the team small and effective.
>Three persons comprising of an engineer, a comminucations officer
>and a technical director.

The (estimated) salary for three persons would be around two million
rupees. It would cost another two million rupees to train those persons.

>With this template I believe the price of the .mu domain name can be
>halved. It is necessary to gain customer confidence and expand. It
>will be the duty of the technical director to promote .mu through
>strategic partners. Once we set a target of multiplying the number
>of active domain names to five times the current amount, we could
>easily offer registrars .mu registrations at around Rs 450/yr.

I don't know whether the number of active domain names can be
multiplied by five. The template assumes that the employees will be
able to fix problems once they start the work. If you are not sure
whether that can be done you will have to add another million rupees
to the estimated costs.