Re: .mu update (was: Difference between someone who works)

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 00:06:53 +0400

> When it comes to National Security, we cannot talk about
> sub-contracting the work. I'm not comfortable with the idea of a
> Mauritian Registry whose implementation was left to a non-Mauritian
> group which can potentially insert a backdoor for passive
> surveillance.

​Did you voice out the same when Government Web Portal was sub-contracted
to an Egyptian company LinkDev[1]?​
Did I mention non-Mauritian sub-contracting?

I give you a scenario, say SM, I and a couple few other people work on this
proposal and we have to implement it. We choose to hire you as a developer
to code a plugin that could provide us custom stats from Bind. You don't
know the rest of the infrastructure. You're given a specific task. Your
code is then audited by several other people. Tell me the point at which
there will be a security flaw? There could be, you tell me.

I would expect the employee to come with a sensible design, and drive
> the implementation and deployment. This would help for accountability:
> That employee cannot blame it on a sub-contractor.

​Irrelevant to the initial discussion where SM asked me if I would be
willing to write a proposal for free. You're taking the thread out of
proportion till it will just explode.​

> I believe that salaries are adjusted periodically for inflation, and
> therefore cannot be a one-time cost.

​Nope buddy. The first year, you paid for hardware, consultancy +
implentation & training (handing over). The recurrent caters for the people
having been trained to look after. That's what is summed up in the cost
breakdown.​

​Consultancy & training fees are not recurrent. That is where the job of
the "people having written a proposal" ends :-)

If I write part of a proposal, it doesn't mean I will sit on top of the
hardware & software for the rest of my life. ​

[1]
http://www.linkdev.com/news-room/press-releases/link-development-celebrates-the-launch-of-mauritius-e-governement-portal

*- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.*
* |H|A|C|K|L|O|G|.|i|n|*