Re: Broken Internet for school, all financed by our money

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:37:36 +0400

> I would like to add on this one. This is a major issue for all academic
> institutions in Mauritius. Colleagues from abroad find it ridiculous that
> the pricing for dedicated lines are that expensive. On top of that, there
> is no such thing which exist as educational pricing, compared to other
> countries.

​I don't usually compare with other countries. I would prefer study the
current infrastructure, look at the business model and see why the price
can't be lowered. Does Orange/MT have valid reasons as to why they can't
provide more bandwidth for the current price?

> Universities, using adsl lines, but this does not come with static ip
> addressing. In the end, we are just having the same service as a home user,
> except that the price is almost doubled for business. Now that MT have
> started putting Fiber, but they still haven’t grasp the technologies behind
> it and what infrastructure is needed. On top of that the service we, as
> educational institutions are paying, are not up to the standard.

​The current FTTH by Orange is plain marketing. They're offering DSL speed
over Fibre and "few" people are voicing out. Would educational institutions
voice out their bandwidth needs and speak in favor of 100Mbps (minimum)
standard for Mauritius?

*- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.*
* |H|A|C|K|L|O|G|.|i|n|*

*https://twitter.com/IshSookun <https://twitter.com/IshSookun> ^^ Do you