Re: Project owner for .mu

From: Mohammad Nadim <nadim.attari_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 23:06:03 +0400

Hello,

On 5 March 2015 at 12:07, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The government representative on the .mu select committee proposed having
> a not-for-profit organisation as the project owner to act on behalf of the
> local internet community.
>
> I would like to confirm that the Mauritius Internet Users will support
> having "gov.mu" under the control of the government and at no cost to the
> government.

As of now, gov.mu is a 2nd level domain (same as biz.mu or com.mu) - which
means you buy xyz.biz.mu or abc.com.mu as well as azerty.gov.mu. For gov.mu,
3rd level have been "sold" to the government (whether they have paid or not
is a different issue).

Government should be able to buy gov.mu and control whatever sub-domains
(3rd level) they want to have. Hence paying for 1 domain only. But it will
not hurt if given for free (1 domain only) and government controls gov.mu
and whatever sub-domains they may create. How the government manages gov.mu's
sub-domains will be entirely their responsibility - the not-for-profit org
("The Trust") has to ensure that gov.mu works, without bothering about the
sub-domains.

> Does anyone have any objection to the above?

NO.

I would also like .mu with added security (DNSSEC).

Regards,

Nadim Attari