Re: Project owner for .mu

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 09:29:16 -0800

Hello,
At 03:56 07-03-2015, chitz wrote:
>sorry for responding late but I did not get time
>
>i have some questions
>
>1-"The government representative on the .mu select committee
>proposed having a not-for-profit organisation as the project owner
>to act on behalf of the local internet community."
>
>will the committee be under government or independent?

The proposal was to have an organisation which is neutral. From what
I understand it would be independent.

>2015 there will be committee assume the duration for holding .mu
>last for 5 years then if there is change in gov what happen will
>that committee still stand or changes?

I will replace the word "committee" with the word "organisation" as
that is what the discussion is about.

It is a matter of whether we would like a third-world ccTLD or a
ccTLD which will stand in more than five years. It is good that you
asked the above question. It is to the persons on the mailing list
to see what type of organisation would be able to ensure their interests.

>is it because gov has pay million to get .mu so they want it to be a
>not for profit organisation?

I do not think so. From what I understood it was to have a structure
which avoids future problems.

>if <http://gov.mu>gov.mu was properly monitored we will not land in
>situations where it costs millions.

Yes.

>2. "I would like to confirm that the Mauritius Internet Users will
>support having "<http://gov.mu>gov.mu" under the control of the
>government and at no cost to the government."
>
>it is a shame that in 2015 when most developing country are stepping
>ahead in IT field, Mauritius is now thinking of committee that also
>for having <http://gov.mu>gov.mu under control of the government. in
>addition thinking about no cost.

The government would be responsible for "gov.mu". It is similar to
"gov" which is under the control of the United States
Government. From a security perspective it reduces the threat of
"gov.mu" being "for sale".

The lowest price for the "gov.mu" domain name is Rs 2000 per
year. What happens if the government does not pay the bill? Would
the domain name be suspended? Would the supremecourt.gov.mu be happy
to hear an argument about a Rs 2000 claim while their web site is
down? What would the local press say when electoral.gov.mu is not working?

The government has not renewed its Microsoft licenses since July
2013. Would Microsoft take the government to court or prevent the
software from being used?

>3-As a security geek i feel Mauritius in regard to security is "very poor".

I agree.

>4. Even if .mu is under control of gov. does it end here itself?
> what the public benefit? what is our benefit?

I registered example.mu to run a business. It turns into a
successful business. I get a report saying that example.mu is not
working outside Mauritius. I contact the local registrar and tell
them that my lawyer will contact them. The lawyer tells me that the
case has to be taken in England. Is that to my advantage?

You recommended that your company use a .mu domain name to run a
business process. The .mu domain name stops working and your manager
tells you that this has to be fixed within an hour. How would you
fix that domain name?

Nobody really believes in noble causes or public benefit. The
question I would ask is how do I benefit from this. I use one of the
web sites in Mauritius to find information. I need a stable link to
that information. If the ".mu" part is stable it is one step closer
to getting something stable. If I have to recommend a domain name
for a hobby I can choose anything. If I have to choose a domain name
for an airplane (
http://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Images/E/Easyjet-Plc-V2/Images/content/image-gallery/preview-A-319-photo001.jpg
) I don't choose one which is not stable as it is expensive to
repaint the airplane.