Re: Project owner for .mu

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 01:17:37 -0800

Hi Ish,
At 00:16 05-03-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Could you please elaborate the "control" that Government should have
>on "<http://gov.mu>gov.mu"? I believe it's just DNS management of
>*.<http://gov.mu>gov.mu. That sounds fair.
>Regarding "no cost", I have no objection to the matter keeping in
>mind that the organisation should be not-for-profit.

If there is the agreement of the local internet community, the
not-for-profit draws a written agreement with the government to
ensure that, from a legal perspective, the government owns
"gov.mu". The agreement would also state the technical measures
which the not-for-profit will implement for the government to be able
to have "gov.mu" under its control. The not-for-profit will never be
able to put "gov.mu" for sale [1].

There is a cost for the not-for-profit to ensure that "gov.mu" DNS
works. It is not worth it to try to set up a system to charge the
government for that. If the government is given "gov.mu" for free it
is unlikely that there would be any concerns from the public about that.

1. http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/gov-mu-domain-name-for-sale.html