Re: Sniffing of SAFE submarine cable

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 02:14:53 -0700

Hi Chittesh,
At 02:23 PM 06-07-2022, Chittesh Sham wrote:
>I don't want to get political and I personally consider it to be
>rumors, as no concrete evidence has been presented yet.

It is not possible to assess the "sniff" or "survey" mentioned in the
newspapers as there isn't any technical information in the press
articles which you shared. The social networks which you asked about
are, in general, relatively secure for home users. There is a
different set of considerations for privacy.

According to the Data Protection Office, "the object of the [Data
Protection Act 2017] is to provide for the protection of the privacy
rights of individuals in view of the developments in the techniques
used to capture, transmit, manipulate, record or store data relating
to individuals". There are exceptions in the law which permits, for
example, the capture of data relating to individuals.

As a comment about VPNs, it depends on what you are looking for. The
monthly cost of a VPN service is around MUR 400. I suggest assessing
whether the service is worth it.