Sniffing of SAFE submarine cable

From: Chittesh Sham <shamchittesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 01:23:24 +0400

Hi Folks,

I don't want to get political and I personally consider it to be rumors, as
no concrete evidence has been presented yet.

If you have been living under a rock lately here's a quick brief:
Last Week the approx 7 years long CEO of Mauritius Telecom resigns in a
dramatic fashion [1],and the following day he goes live on a radio platform
[2] to claim that, as per his personal experience, did so to avoid
compromising his values as he was ordered by the current Prime Minister to
allow a foreign third party to conduct a survey of Telecom's facilities for
the potential implementation of a "sniffing" tool on the SAFE network [3]

If so were to happen:
I don't know in-depth about the various technical repercussion but I do
understand that this is a major national security risk as almost all of our
business activities are conducted through the internet, the SEMDEX (Stock
market of Mauritius) is online, and many emergency facilities are
connected. It is all very bad, But, I was wondering about my personal
messages on WhatsApp and telegram, it's supposed to be encrypted, would
such a sniffing tool allow decryption of information?
Is there any way at all to protect us? If VPNs are used, which encrypt our
internet traffic, if the information is decrypted that would render VPN
solutions futile...

Thanks for any clarifications and/or heads-up on the consequences that
could entail such a system.

Cheers,
CS

[1]