Re: MIT Global Start-Up Labs

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 21:02:53 +0400

Hi SM,

On 08/11/2017 10:37 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> My comment to the instructors for future courses was to identify
> problems earlier in the programme as the students were discussing about
> the same things without achieving much. The students made significant
> progress between the technical mixer to which I was invited and demo day.

The programme focuses on "disciplined entrepreneurship" as penned down
by Prof Bill Aulet. I am not sure whether the problems you asked to
identify will make it into the teaching plan. I had a similar difficulty
a few years ago when I enrolled into "Business Studies" at the
university. The lecturer focused on marketing by Philip Kotler, while
the reality in Mauritius appears different.

> The programme highlighted that the students had difficulties working as
> a team and that the initial ideas for starting a business were
> unrealistic. There was a communication issue, e.g. the survey was not
> done correctly. The emphasis on "beachhead market" and "total
> addressable market" caused a push for a theoretical approach instead of
> one which was adapted to the reality in Mauritius.

I agree on the initial difficulties. Every participant pitched an idea
prior to enrollment to the program, and naturally everyone was defending
that idea when being in a team. It takes time for someone will little or
no experience working in "teams" to accept criticism or persuade others
of something flawed.

The survey was meant to collect data. One major problem in Mauritius is
that there "is no data available". We'd often come back with those
excuses and then we were taught that if no statistics is available then
you should create your own stats. That is when teams started going out
questioning people. However, there is one problem here too, we are not
trained for quality surveys. It's very easy to get a survey biased.