Re: Amendments to the Data Protect Act (Mauritius)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:57:03 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 10:20 14-06-2017, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Did you read the Budget 2017-18 speech? Item number 133 reads as follows:

Yes. I am not sure whether it is about the E.U. General Data
Protection Regulation (GDPR).

>In my opinion the DPA will be amended not just to comply with EU data
>protection regulation but to address the constraints of MNIC with
>regards to the period of retention of citizen personal data. What are
>your thoughts?

There is the following on Page 81:

   "Necessary amendments will be made to ensure that the
    obligation on a person to furnish data and information at the
    request of MRA for purposes of enforcement of tax laws will
    not be constrained by the confidentiality provisions of the Data
    Protection Act, Information and Communication Technologies
    Act and the Companies Act."

And on Page 83:

   "An employee will henceforth be required to provide his National
    Identity Card Number or his Non-Citizen's Identification
    Number to his employer thus eliminating the obligation for the
    latter to seek a Tax Account Number from MRA."

There isn't any mention of the period of retention of the citizen's
personal data in the Budget Speech.