Re: On the State of Open Source

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 10:49:35 -0700

Hi Gavin,
At 09:32 11-05-2017, Gavin SATHAN wrote:
>BTW: Welcome Matt7, hope you enjoy the topics!

Your message was not addressed to the mailing list. :-)

Most of the persons I encountered in open source communities (outside
Mauritius) are autodidacts. I have benefited from those encounters as
the persons readily helped me when I asked questions. I have also
given back by helping other persons as that was how things worked.

There are different open source philosophies. Over the last decade
well-known open source projects have each developed their own
business model. There is also more competition because of IPR,
funding, or even the Cloud. If you are interested in the issues, you
can read an example of that at

At 23:53 10-05-2017, Ish Sookun wrote:
>There is little or no culture of sharing in Mauritius right now; be it
>about software or knowledge.

It might be because there isn't a philosophy, excluding commercial
interest, which drives Open Source in Mauritius. The inescapable
outcome is that the level of the Open Source debates in Mauritius is
rudimentary.