Re: On the State of Open Source

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 12:28:37 -0700

Hi Gavin,
At 11:22 10-05-2017, Gavin SATHAN wrote:
>What better business than to get people pay for something which is free?

Yes.

>The question is who is really benefiting from this?

A person who is familiar with Linux and who can get through the MQA
process can sell a Linux training course for Rs 60,000. Companies
can save on licensing fees by choosing Open Source Software instead
of software which comes with a licensing fee. The gossip is that
some companies are fooled into paying for Open Source Software as
they are not familiar with how software licensing works.

I mentioned a book [1] about architectural descriptions of open
source software systems. The odd part was that none of the persons
in Mauritius who list "open source" in their profile shared any
information about the book. A way to look at it is that a person in
Mauritius benefits from Open Source Software by adopting a closed approach.

1. https://delftswa.gitbooks.io/desosa-2017/content/