Re: Innovating your way out

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 06:37:12 -0700

Hi Martin,
At 23:42 27-04-2017, Martin wrote:
>Whether he invented something or not ( in 2012), thinking patents
>first is in my point of view a really bad idea.
>Patents were invented to spread ideas and get peer reviews on
>innovations, nowadays it is a way to "vous interdire de faire ce que je fais".
>Intellectual property is also a marketplace where brokers buy and
>sell patents, and sometimes live off suits they have the right to do
>to anyone ( think patent trolls).

There are very few patents created in Mauritius. There isn't a
marketplace for trading patents. I have not met anyone in Mauritius
who opposes patents.

>How would IP progress ? What could be the next step ? Patent
>anything for free ? Copyleft all the things ? Hierarchies all
>innovations in a tree-like database ?
>What the dodo would do ?

The first question could be: how could knowledge progress? I assume
that you are aware that Mauritius has a long tradition of trading
knowledge privately for a fee. I listened to a local artist who was
arguing that copyright should be +70 years. I asked the person
whether he was okay if that was done with software. His reply is
that it wouldn't cause any problem as software becomes obsolete
quickly. I'll leave it to the subscribers of this mailing list to
see whether that is correct or not.

As for innovation, why worry about that when there isn't any
protection given that the laws are not enforced?