Re: Internet shutdown proposal

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 12:08:33 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 08:28 25-04-2017, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Cloudflare [1] has a point-of-presence in Kenya. Major businesses would
>be affected if an internet shutdown were to happen in Kenya. The
>economic impact would be high.

There were only two businesses in that country,
one from Africa, which raised the prospect of an
internet shutdown as a problem. As for
Mauritius, have you seen any local company
commenting about the proposal or discussing about
the impact of an internet shutdown at that
point-of-presence? The local discussion is usually about servers and ISPs.

>I wondered about that. There is no such "anti-shutdown" measure by other
>RIRs. If the proposal gains traction and gets adopted by Afrinic, I
>suppose other RIRs would follow.

I am not sure about this. I usually avoid commenting about other RIRs.

>I was unaware of the above statement by Trilock Dwarka made in 2007.
>Thanks for bringing my attention to the same. I find it difficult to
>digest that a person having said « Je soutiens la direction sur les
>decisions prises. » is currently the Director of Information Technology.
>(/_-)

There is also the following in the news article:
"Nous avons eu des réactions de la part de
certains fournisseurs mauriciens d'accès Internet
et la grosse majorité d'entre eux est d'accord avec cette démarche".

Who is going to step forward and oppose a shutdown?