Re: Local press writes about the [removed]

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 03:42:25 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 23:11 10-04-2017, Ish Sookun wrote:
>the attendees a bit on the work of the Internet Engineering Task Force
>(IETF) and I believe several people in the room understood a little the
>nature of your work (e.g RFC 7479 [1]).

During that discussion one or more members of LUGM argued in favour
of Telnet. Last week, the person sitting to my right commented about
"IPv7" as that was mentioned during a speech. My response to the
person was that it might be a mistake. :-)

>Knowing the way you throw jokes some times, I guessed there was
>something particular about RC4 that you were triggering. The bandaid
>mention by the FreeBSD contributor was a good hint. The academic paper
>is mentioned in the code comments. To be honest, I didn't read the paper
>thoroughly.

It would be difficult for most technical (or even academic) people to
understand that academic paper. The "RC4-drop" comment was. :-)

>I however had a look at I. Mironov's paper in which he does mention the
>earlier work of S. Fluhrer. I was interested to know why the FreeBSD
>patch discarded the first 3072 bytes. I had a better idea on the 3072
>value from the conclusion part of the paper. Thank you for the hints.

Most people are not interested in the "why" as it is easier to
blindly copy and paste code instead of trying to understand the code.