Re: Lack of competitive packages

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2016 04:58:56 -0700

Hi Shane, Logan,
At 21:19 04-11-2016, Vy-Shane Sin Fat wrote:
>As a Mauritian who lives overseas and works in tech, I have often
>thought about coming back to Mauritius for a couple of years to be
>closer with my family. The only way I think I could make it work is
>to do remote contract work for an overseas company.

Selling training services may be a way to increase your
earnings. Given your skills, and assuming that you are good at
training, it shouldn't be difficult for you to compete with the
people doing that over here.

>Is your argument that Mauritians are paid less because they are less
>skilled? I've never worked in Mauritius before, so I can't comment
>on the average skill level.

The argument was that the person will not publicly talk about the
difficulties he/she encountered in the other country.

>I have been involved in the hiring process at most organisations
>I've worked at in Australia, and am often recruited by US/UK/EU
>companies. I have a pretty good idea of what's on offer outside of
>MU, and it doesn't seem very likely that Mauritian companies are
>going to be matching these packages given especially the conversion rate.

There are interesting job offers [1][2] for people with the
competitive skills which the employer is looking for. I agree that
it is unlikely that a local company will match the package if you are
compare that with the package of someone who is regularly working for
companies in the U.S.

>However, salary isn't the whole picture. You need to consider cost
>of living. Mauritius obviously does better in that regards compared
>to the big cities. But if you compare the relative cost of living to
>the relative renumeration, you still find that moving overseas is a
>very attractive financial proposition.

As a matter of individual preference I would not look at the
conversion rate only, e.g. your comment about being closer to the
family, weather, job security. If a person is very good in her field
he/she won't find the very attractive financial proposition locally
(excluding outsourcing). Let's assume that a person is a "Linux
developer". He/she will be regularly participating in discussions on
the LKML mailing list and he/she will be contacted by recruiters. I
doubt that you'll find any people in Mauritius doing that.

>The skills are rated globally but rewarded locally. That's one of
>the reasons to move overseas. The other one is to find more
>interesting/challenging work. In the tech industry, it's obvious
>that this kind of work is easier to find at tech companies. How many
>of these can you find in Mauritius?

There aren't any tech companies in Mauritius. The local approach
would look amateurish to someone working in a tech company. The work
on the island is not very challenging. I commented about
"competitive skills". That is different from technical skills. Your
reward would likely not be the same as what is rewarded locally. :-)

At 21:33 04-11-2016, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>For example, taxes/duties on cars make them a luxury item in
>Mauritius. This is one of the reason why the cost of living in
>Mauritius is relatively high.

I suggest reading
https://shift.newco.co/letter-of-resignation-from-the-palo-alto-planning-and-transportation-commission-f7b6facd94f5#.q2431d1i3
I would be able to compare the coast of living if you point me to
something similar for Mauritius.

1.
https://www.dynamics-jobs.com/13170/microsoft-dynamics-nav-developer-mauritius
2. http://www.dreamnology.com/careers/system_administrator