Re: Lack of competitive packages

From: Vy-Shane Sin Fat <shane_at_node.mu>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 12:19:50 +0800

As a Mauritian who lives overseas and works in tech, I have often thought
about coming back to Mauritius for a couple of years to be closer with my
family. The only way I think I could make it work is to do remote contract
work for an overseas company.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 4:08 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Logan,
> At 12:46 02-11-2016, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>
>> What is sad in the case of [removed] is the brain drain that caused
>> many of our members to move overseas due to lack of competitive
>> packages from the local IT industry. (2 members working overseas + 1
>> member studying overseas)
>>

> I don't know the skills of those persons.
>
> A person moves overseas because he/she believes that things are better
> there. The person is usually offered a low-paying job but he/she will
> describe that as a competitive package to people in Mauritius.

Is your argument that Mauritians are paid less because they are less
skilled? I've never worked in Mauritius before, so I can't comment on the
average skill level.

I have been involved in the hiring process at most organisations I've
worked at in Australia, and am often recruited by US/UK/EU companies. I
have a pretty good idea of what's on offer outside of MU, and it doesn't
seem very likely that Mauritian companies are going to be matching these
packages given especially the conversion rate.

However, salary isn't the whole picture. You need to consider cost of
living. Mauritius obviously does better in that regards compared to the big
cities. But if you compare the relative cost of living to the relative
renumeration, you still find that moving overseas is a very attractive
financial proposition.

> A competitive package is offered to a programmer or system administrator
> with competitive skills. Nowadays, those skills are rated globally instead
> of locally. There is the following comment at
> https://www.david-dias.com/2016/07/real-status-web-developer
> s-skills-mauritius/ : "Unfortunately, I noticed that the level of
> knowledge of Front-End development reflects that of 5-10 years before".
>
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy

The skills are rated globally but rewarded locally. That's one of the
reasons to move overseas. The other one is to find more
interesting/challenging work. In the tech industry, it's obvious that this
kind of work is easier to find at tech companies. How many of these can you
find in Mauritius?