Vulnerability of IoT devices in Mauritius

From: Ajay R Ramjatan <ajay.ramjatan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 21:51:26 +0400

Hi MIU,

I have been impacted by the recent outage linked to DDoS against Dyn Inc, a
major DNS provider.

https://www.flashpoint-intel.com/mirai-botnet-linked-dyn-dns-ddos-attacks/

A preliminary analysis indicates the botnet behind the DDoS is fueled
partly by vulnerable IoT (Internet of things) devices, such as routers,
DVRs. I have been asking myself how many such vulnerable devices are
operating in Mauritius and whether any of them have been participants in
this DDoS.

In the field of my profession, I have been asked to configure port
forwarding so my clients can access their DVR devices inside their premises
from an external location, which I did. Security experts have been warning
the community at large about the threat that poorly engineered IoT devices
can pose and the recent DDoS attacks only confirm that those warnings are
to be taken seriously.

Those botnets are made possible by inadequate processes from manufacturers,
misconfiguration from resellers/installers and sometimes poor practices
from end-users. I believe there should be a Mauritian campaign to raise
awareness about the risks that poorly-deployed IoT devices pose and stop
them from being used as attack vectors. It would reflect poorly on
Mauritius if the island is present in some analysis of the source of future
DDoS attacks.

Ajay