Re: CERT-MU home constituency

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 07:49:23 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 03:53 04-08-2016, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I agree with you that the experience is "awful". I do not have a
>rewarding experience with CERT-MU either. Recently, I spent time looking
>for information on the CERT-US website and subscribed to its newsletter.
>The experience is better and informative.
>
>The experience with CERT-MU on the other hand is frustrating and
>annoying and there is no engagement with home users. I have sent
>countless emails to Dr K. Usmani in the past querying about spam-related
>law; he never replied me. At a point I even thought he no more works for
>CERT-MU.

This is from
http://mauritiusassembly.govmu.org/English/hansard/Documents/2016/hansard1616.pdf

   "Since 2012 to date, 56 incidents of phishing have been reported by banks
    to the Mauritian Computer Emergency Response Team known as CERT-MU which
    is a division of the National Computer Board operating under the aegis
    of my Ministry."

Assuming that there are 20 phishing incidents a year, it would mean that:

   (i) People in Mauritius do not use internet banking; or

   (ii) The security of internet in Mauritius so high that
         phishing is nearly impossible; or

   (iii) A large number of phishing incidents are not reported.

There was also a question about "actions being envisaged by his
Ministry to protect the reputation of Mauritius as a safe and secure
place for doing business". The reply given was that "we have the
ninth best score in the world and rank first in Africa on the United
Nations Global Cybersecurity Index". That index is based on an an
online survey where the response of the government is gathered and
evaluated. Is the index a good measure? Would a government provide
information which makes it look like its country is not a secure
place for online business?

If the experience of incident reporting at CERT-MU is like what I
described or like what you described, what kind of experience can the
average home user in Mauritius expect?