Re: Orange/Mauritius is unsuitable for gamers

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 03:41:20 -0700

Hi Logan,
At 02:32 31-07-2016, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>After Orange started handing out 100 Mbit/s to their customers at a
>fairly high price, we still don't qualify for online gaming.

Are you still a member of the ICT Advisory
Council? If so, did you provide any advice about
the price which consumers have to pay for
internet access? Has there been any decrease in
price for the internet package which you are currently using?

>The maxium ping requirement for gaming according to sourceforge is 100ms:
>
>https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/
>
>I don't quality as I'm getting 287ms as latency, even under stress.
>
>Now that we have 100Mbit/s, shouldn't Orange focus on improving the
>routing to give us 100ms latency to US ?

The site which you mentioned is not related to
gaming. I suggest citing better sources if you
are providing facts about latency for gaming. I
don't think that it is currently possible to get
100 ms latency to the U.S. Before asking for
something which is not technically feasible, it
is worthwhile to consider that a quick analysis
would show that it is not doable. The latency to
the edge of the Mauritius Telecom network is
currently 3.56 ms. There was the following
comment from (if I am not mistaken) Vincent in a
blog article about freelancing: "A l’île Maurice,
l’accès à internet est particulièrement aléatoire
et peut être une grande source de stress". There
isn't any data to show that internet access in Mauritius is of low quality.