Re: IPv6 for Residential Users

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 13:48:03 -0700

Hello,
At 11:23 02-07-2016, Sheik Mohammud Muzzammil Nabybaccus wrote:
>Mauritius has come to a point where the amount of users have been
>increasing to a relatively huge range and it wouldn't be surprising
>to see how the ipv4 block will be at a point where there ip
>addresses will be at a point of "scarcity". i remember emtel talking
>about having implemented ipv6? i think that was on defimedia.. still
>as an island where we are moving forward with tech much more faster
>than usual, it would be a "time-worth" step to be taken to introduce it.

There was a discussion on a regional mailing list about how ISPs in
the region were implementing IPv6 addresses. In my opinion, it was
like talking about IPv6 and it is not the same as IPv6 deployment. I
did a test for www.emtel.com and I found out that it is not IPv6 enabled.

There is some information about IPv4 usage for Mauritius at
http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/ipv4-usage-mauritius.html I don't know
whether Emtel has any plan about what to do when the point of
"scarcity" is reached.

There was a message from Logan at
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2016/06/5608.html
He is likely using a 3G connection which is of poor quality. I
tested a similar technology several years ago (
http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/test.png ). I agree that the island is
moving faster than before. I don't think that it is that fast as
users on the island are still being given 3G connections.

>i was just going through my airbox router config and found that an
>ipv6 address.
>
>its an static address by emtel or?

That IPv6 address is known as a link-local IPv6 address. It is not a
static IP address as the IPv6 architecture is not the same as the
IPv4. The link-local address is usable on your local network only.