Re: IPv6 for Residential Users

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 04:52:33 -0700

Hi Shravan,
At 03:57 02-07-2016, Shravan Dwarka wrote:
>After reading an online article posted by Defimedia [1], I have
>asked Mauritius Telecom the question when will IPv6 available for
>home users since number of users over the world is increasing. This
>can be a problem for future users in Mauritius since nothing about
>IPv6 has been heard from you. MT replied they will check on this and
>revert back, which they haven't..yet. So my question is when will
>IPv6 available in Mauritius, let's say for old subscribers only.
>Being an Internet user, I am concerned.

A few years ago, the following question was asked in the Legislative
Assembly: "will state if the Internet Protocol Version is able to
respond to the future needs of the country, indicating the measures
taken, if any, to avoid any deadlock". I'll quote part of the replies:

   "IPv6 is already operational in Mauritius. For example, the ICT Authority's
    website is already IPv6 enabled. It is a question of demand being made by
    the Mauritian end users."

I doubt that it is possible to access the the ICTA's web site from
the Legislative Assembly over IPv6.

I agree that it is a matter of demand, i.e. IPv6 is not needed if
residential users do not request it. I already asked Mauritius
Telecom about IPv6 as I prefer not to end up at the bottom of the queue.