Re: Introduction to programming

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 12:00:36 -0700

Hi Gavin,

I am copying your reply and my comments to the mailing list as it is
useful to have the opinion of other subscribers.

At 11:15 18-05-2016, Gavin SATHAN wrote:
>Well as an Intro to programming constructs, we use C++ in Semester
>1, given that the students are also expected to be exposed to
>paradigms, mid-way in semester 2, they are exposed to Scheme and
>Prolog to teach Functional and Declarative respectively.
>
>In year 2, OO concepts are explained using Java. The fun part for me
>is teaching Operating Systems, where students get their hands on C
>to to some system programming (process creation, threads,
>synchronisation using mutex, signals, file/directory access in Sem 2
>they are exposed to Linux System Admin and Basic AWK scripting).

There is a steep learning curve if a beginner's first programming
language is C++. It might be easier for the beginner if a high-level
language is used as an introduction to programming. It is better to
start by using programming for problem solving. Once the student has
understood the basics of programming, it is less difficult to move to
a low-level language or C++, Scheme or Prolog.

There is some information about Python at
https://developers.google.com/edu/python/ Could you please consider
giving Python a try as an introduction to programming?