RE: MIU Objective

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 21:27:54 +0400

> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:32:58 -0700
> To: saisruti1501_at_gmail.com; mauritius-internet-users_at_lists.elandnews.com
> From: sm+mu_at_elandsys.com
> Subject: Re: MIU Objective

> Hi Sruti,
> At 12:12 24-06-2015, Sruti Jughdharree wrote:
> >One of the reasons I've subscribed to this mailing list is because
> >of the objectives put forward by the participants in it, one of the
> >objectives being the 100mbps internet access.

> It is still a long journey before some of us can have 100 Mbps local
> internet access.

Hello SM,

Congratulations for having 'achieved' one of the MIU objectives which is getting 100Mbps local Internet access. Unfortunately, it is not affordable as you once asked Mike.

> Are you interested in getting 100 Mpbs local access to the internet at approximately Rs 1200/- monthly?

> I asked Avinash Meetoo, Chair of the ICT Advisory Council, about 100
> Mbps local internet access. The reply was that the Advisory Council
> would work on it ( http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/03/0120.html
> ). I do not think that the ICT Advisory Council is interested in
> helping us get 100 Mbps local internet access as it has not contacted us to discuss about the matter.

Did the ICT Advisory Council reply to you or are you still on the waiting list although the 100Mbps is already available?

> Emtel is currently competing with Orange Mauritius for residential
> internet access customers. Emtel might have found out that it might
> not that profitable in the years to come if it continued focusing on
> telecommunication services only. Orange Mauritius is making less
> profit than in the past years. Bharat Telecom Ltd is still making a
> loss and it has not been able to reach its objectives (
> http://www.defimedia.info/defi-quotidien/dq-economie/item/70740-implantation-de-la-fibre-optique-bharat-telecom-acheve-ses-travaux-dans-l-est.html
> ).

I won't even call it competition. We may have three ISPs but we can only hear about Orange and Emtel. Emtel made a huge impact with its ads and promotion but ended up being right after Orange because the customers were disappointed. Orange is now leading the way better than ever with the 100Mbps advertising even though customers will barely be able to afford this service. It is unfortunate to witness how Mauritius is being tagged as a smart city when most of its Internet users are stuck with slow bandwidth.

I am happy to see that the emails you sent requesting for the 100Mbps is now being advertised as a premium service in Mauritius :)

Kind regards,
Shelly