Re: An appeal to the Data Protection Commissioner

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 11:02:34 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 02:41 18-03-2016, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I forgot to add, that regarding my actual complaint, the Commissioner says:
>
> "for any non-application of the judgment, you are advised
> to refer to the Supreme Court or any other competent court"
>
>That leaves me with no option, technically, as it is beyond a simple
>citizen's financial capacity to challenge the State in a Court in Mauritius.

In 2013, there was an article about "Mauritius Data Protection
Commission: an analysis of its early decisions". Mrs Drudeisha
Madhub, Data Protection Commissioner, Republic of Mauritius,
published a clarification in response to the conclusion drawn from
the analysis. I'll quote part of that:

   "All enquiries are completed once the complainant declares to this office
    that it is satisfied with the enquiry conducted. If the complainant is not
    satisfied, the enquiry is pursued so that more evidence, wherever possible,
    is gathered. This in no way precludes the complainant from
appealing against
    the decision of the commissioner once he/she receives it."