Re: Improving an internet connection

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 04:52:16 -0700

Hello,
At 11:01 11-03-2016, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>That being said, I believe that there are some really good members in
>MIU who *can* contribute greatly and make the group credible again,
>but they tend to be the least vocal. To those people: Use your email,
>and write sensible mails. Also, build a sustainable group with
>*credible* vocal people.

A local video about information technology received 100 views on
average over a year. This group received two mentions in a video
which got approximately 18,000 views. The group has publicly
expressed its opinion in the press on delicate topics, e.g.
"blocking" Facebook. Is the group credible?

Some groups outside Mauritius choose a BDFL [1]. Why should a young
person join a group if he/she will not be given the opportunity to
lead the group? How does it look when a group always has the same
person speaking on its behalf?

If there is an internet-related issue next year, would any
technology-related group publicly express an opinion about it? This
group is the only group in Mauritius which discusses about delicate
topics [2][3]. It is assumed that this group will still be active
and that the members with the competence to work on the issue will
still be active.

It is technically possible to improve the internet connection in
Mauritius. However, some of the issues which have an impact of that
internet connection are not technical issues. The following is from
a 2014 presentation given by an Engineer/Licensing Officer, ICT Authority:

   "ISPs to publish TSR for each Internet package on their website and
    in all advertisements"

The TSR information is still unavailable.

1. http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=235725
2.
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/09/3457.html
3.