RE: Illustrator

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 23:36:21 +0400

Hello SM,

> I was reading about illustrators and I found
> http://fashionista.com/2015/03/how-to-become-fashion-illustrator I
> don't know whether the advice is useful as it is not a subject I am
> familiar with.

Thank you so much for the link. I really liked the article especially the part where she highlights how the Internet play an important role “If you have a skill and you just try and put it out there, it’s amazing how you could really reach anybody now.” I remember having a topic during our weekly skype meeting where you asked 'How the Internet could make our life easier' . This article is one of the many examples.

> Interacting with a person(s) of experience in your field is a way to
> learn some of the techniques used in your field and to have someone
> to turn to for guidance. The alternative is to struggle on your
> own. You might end up with years of work instead of the work
> experience which someone in a similar position would gain. There are
> unfortunately few opportunities in Mauritius to have the interaction
> as either there isn't a community for that field or the groups in
> that field operate as closed systems.

There are indeed few opportunities in Mauritius when it comes to interacting with mentors and to get guidelines or any help. Some people will tend to adopt the competitive approach and refuse sharing. There are small communities I know about in Mauritius but its mainly for name sake or for criticizing others' work without constructive feedback. From the MIU threads which were fashion-internet related in Mauritius, you could observe that the amateurism approach is favored and that any people who ask question is easily kicked out.

Regarding the link you sent me:
Thank you for the tips SM! I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Shelly