Re: Front-end developer

From: Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah <"Tejas>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 12:16:13 +0400

Hello SM,

On 3/2/2016 12:47 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> What are the responsibilities of a front-end developer?

Actually, front-end developers or even full-stack developers are an
endangered species around the world and even in Mauritius. Why? Because
we can assess the number of websites which have a good User Experience
and User Interface design. We can compare "govmu.org" and "lexpress.mu"
to understand this.

I would rather re-phase the question - What are the 'skills' a front-end
developer should have in particular for a front-end job?- Because in the
end, he/she would need those skills to fulfill his responsibilities at
work.

Before we go any forward, we have to understand something, we have
different level of developers like junior, middle and senior. The skills
of the developer vary as they escalate levels.

I won't comment for each developer levels but rather in general.

What I qualify as -

Basic skills a FE[1] developer should have:

     - Have a good understanding and background on HTML(5), CSS(3)
     - JavaScript and jQuery and other JS frameworks
     - Should have a good understand of colors, palettes and color
combinations
     - A background on how to properly use typography and web fonts
     - A bit of creativity to fuel your tasks
     - Sketching and drafting
     - Designer software skills including Gimp, Adobe Photoshop,
Illustrator and Fireworks for interface mockup and slicing

Intermediate skills a FE developer should have:

     - Wireframing & prototyping
     - Understand and use CSS preprocessors like SCSS, SASS, LESS
including Mixins
     - Responsive design
     - Understand and use various JavaScript frameworks which can be
AngularJS, ReactJS and other JS libraries to facilitate work
     - User Experience Design
     - User Interface Design for interfaces (This is a sub skill of web
development - A website may have a lot of interfaces)
     - Git and Subversion for workflow

Expert skills a FE developer should have:

     - SVG / SVG animation
     - Adobe Creative Suite
     - Interaction design
     - Performance and optimization
     - Branding

This is what I think are the skills that a FE developer should have to
fulfill his/her responsibilities.

[1] FE: Front-End Developer

*Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah*
CTO, Graphics Temple