Re: Council Reports for the year 2015

From: Jules Mike Giovanni <johnally_at_eml.cc>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 05:13:57 -0800

Hi Mr. Avinash Meetoo,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

> Existing laws do not require the Council to produce any report and,
> consequently, there are no reports for 2015.

In other words, what you mean to say is that there is no documented
evidence of the Council's contributions for 2015? If there is, can it be
made available to public for transparency sake? If it cannot be made
available, why?

> In 2016, the Council will work on an Open Data strategy and an Open
Source strategy for the country and we will hopefully have a report
ready for the Minister of ICT and Innovation in a few months once all
members of the Council have provided their inputs and these have been
consolidated.

Can the report be also made available to the public and if not, why?

> For your information, we have not yet met in 2016 as we had to
> postpone our meeting as one of our members was detained.

Won't that be a major setback in the Council's operations for 2016 (i.e
We are already approaching the end of February)? Moreover, I do see that
both Mr. Loganaden Velvindron and Mr. Fabrice Ally Alladee-Blatch, as
members of the Council, share the same responsibilities[1] as Mr. Nitin
Sookun who was detained. Is there a specific reason why Mr. Nitin
Sookun's presence is compulsory for the first meeting of 2016?

> As Chairperson during those few months, I've had to deal with
> countless
issues which, in my opinion, I should not have had to deal with and
which have collectively delayed our work. Given the constraints we have,
we are trying to do our best.

In case of these "countless issues", who do you report to, as the
Chairperson of the Council, or are you and your Council members
on your own?

> What is important is that all people who want to make Mauritius better
> work together instead of one against the other.

This was always the idea but when one's contribution cannot be confirmed
through lack of transparency for instance, you do understand the bottom
line reactions?

Regards, Mike

1. http://mtci.govmu.org/English/Dept-Bodies/Pages/ICTAdvisoryCouncil.aspx

--