Re: Promoting the interest of consumers

From: Jules Mike Giovanni <johnally_at_eml.cc>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 08:40:51 -0800

Hi,

Thank you for reply.

> I totally understand your concern, and they are valid ones. As an
> experiment, please send your request for "Council reports" to the
> Council Secretary
> (http://mtci.govmu.org/English/Dept-Bodies/Pages/ICTAdvisoryCouncil.aspx)
> . Then start your stopwatch. We'll see how long it takes for the
> request to reach individual members.

It should indeed be an interesting experiment to do but I can already
sense the most plausible outcome of it. The request shall be made to the
Council Secretary concerning the "Council reports". (I won't forget the
stopwatch)

> Council members do not draw a monthly salary but rather receive a
stipend for each meeting attended. The Chairman of the Council draws a
monthly salary.

How much meeting was held/organised for the first half and second half
of the year 2015?

> At the time of my appointment I was told that Council
members have their duty to advise the Minister of TCI on selected
subjects. However, when I went through the ICT Act 2001, I corrected
that to "council members should advise the Minister in the best interest
of the consumers." It raised some eyebrows.

It seems that the understanding of the law is NOT fully understood by
those who raise their eyebrows. Would these eyebrows be related to the
deaf ears you mentioned earlier?

> Yes, I agree, the consumer should not be dealing with internal
> dilemmas
but the consumer should be keen to fix a broken culture in a country.
Who tolerated bad practices since years? I take leave from my job to
attend the meetings, I request info which I never receive, for the past
year I NEVER met any of the TCI Minister as a member of the ICT Advisory
Council... Then WHO is advising the Minister? My voice all alone makes
no difference. You, Shruti, SM or a hundred more members could shout at
me, it will still make no difference. Somebody said that laws are not
properly applied in this country ;-) Does it ring the bell whether
sections of the ICT Act are being properly applied?

These are some good questions. If they are not responding to your
advises as a member of a council whose duty is to advice the TCI
Minister then who is doing this job? Does it happen through divine
intervention? I am surprised to hear that even as a member of the ICT
Advisory Council you are being ignored. This matter must be sorted out
as soon as possible and those with the deaf ears should seek medical
treatment(s).

> Sorry, I missed the first meeting of the ICT Advisory Council of this
year because my freedom was contained behind iron bars from 23 January
2016 and 2 February 2016. :)

Indeed this was a setback in your duty as a member of the council. I am
still expecting a reply from Logan and Fabrice on that matter. I hope
they don't follow the same schedule as many government officials :)

Regards, Mike

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Access all of your messages and folders
                          wherever you are