RE: Internet Security Day

From: Hansley Chadee <hjc_at_innodisgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 17:06:56 +0000

Hello,
Cryptolocker is very serious specially if it encrypts network drives (!).

The case(s) I know of here, the local admin preferred to pay the ransom in bitcoins. There was no other way.

In another context, we were able to exploit a weakness in the program when encrypting and then deleting the right file.

A block recovery was possible on the offline version of the affected disk.

In yet another case, they manage to recover the file via the windows shadow volume copy.

But, you have to understand the CCID, if it impossible to get the keys back and find these criminals and prosecuting them, is, well extremely challenging.

So, as good practice, I would advise you to have a proper business continuity plan with regular verified cloud backup....

Thanks and regards

hans